The TOEIC test focuses on English as used in real-world work situations. It has 4 components but students in Thailand usually only take the listening and reading portions (Official User Guide PDF).
The listening test has four parts in which you:
- Choose a statement that best describes a picture. Examples
- Listen to a question and choose the best response. Examples
- Listen to a short conversation and answer comprehension questions about the conversation. Examples
- Listen to a short talk (by one person) and answer questions about the talk. Examples
The reading test also has four parts in which you:
- Complete the sentence using the appropriate word. Examples
- Complete a longer text with the appropriate words. Examples
Note: This section replaces the "find the grammatical error" section. Many older books and websites still include this section.
- Reading Comprehension
A. Answer questions about short texts. Examples.
B. Answer questions about pieces of written communication (e.g. two emails). Examples
Tip: Both tests are multiple choice. So even if you don't know the answer make sure to guess since you have a 25% chance of being correct.
Tip: Many students find the grammar sections to be difficult and time-consuming. You may want to do the reading comprehensions sections first and then go back to the grammar sections.
Phone Apps - There are lots of apps out there. Here are a couple that I like.
- TOEIC Test Pro 2018
- Exam English TOEIC Reading - This has sample questions from the updated reading section.
- Exam English - Links from this site were used above. (Older version: Part 6 has not been updated)
- 4Test.com - You can build your own test by choosing the parts you want to practice. If you don't have time to finish it, you can have a link sent to your email address. It also works well in my mobile browser. (Older version: Part 6 has not been updated)
- Official - ETS Practice Test - Registration Required
- English Club - 20 Tips
- Quizlet Barron's 600 TOEIC Words
- Quizlet 800+ TOEIC Words (Thai/English - Click the back button to access more ways to practice these words, including games.
These listening activities can be sorted by difficulty and include scripts and comprehension questions.
- Randall's ESL Listening Lab
- ELLO Listening Lab - This site also has video lessons with English speakers from all over the world.
- Tactics for the TOEIC Test - Introductory Course - Oxford
- Barron's 600 Essential Words for the TOEIC