I recently discovered the Language Learning with YouTube extension for Chrome and Edge. Here are some of the features:
- You can display two subtitles at the same time.
- Click on any word to see a detailed definition.
- Press 'S' to repeat the line you just heard.
- Use auto pause to give you time to read or repeat (shadow) each line.
The only catch is that the video your watching needs to have subtitles, but I've collected a few here to get you started. There is also an extension for Netflix too.
I've also found an Android app with similar features called DingulTube. If you have found and iOS app with similar features, please let me know in the comments.
This is a collection of short videos with subtitles that can easily be used in a classroom setting.
We Bear Bears - Cartoon
- Smash Hands (<2 min)
- Baby Bears on the Move (<2 min)
- Too Many Pandas (<2 min)
- Panda's Dream (<3 min)
- Sooner or Later (<3 min)
- Blueberry Pancakes (<2 min)
- Grizz Helps (<2 min)
How To Videos - These videos are a useful source of comprehensible input since they usually show and tell you how to do something at the same time.
- How to Make a LEGO Animation (~3 min)
- How to Make Fresh Homemade Guacamole (<3 min)
- How to Make Mountain Dew Slushies (~4 min)
- How to Make Your Own Fishing Line - Primal Survivor (~2 min)
- How to Survive Quicksand - Primal Survivor (~2 min)
- Ellen Inspired Adele's New Song (<3 min)
- Interview with Lil Nas X - The Ellen Show
- The Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything (~4 min)
Songs for Kids - Using auto-pause on the Language Learning extension is a good way to teach the lyrics with shadowing.
- Monkey Dance
- A Sailor Went to the Sea - SuperSimpleSongs
- Silent Night - SuperSimpleSongs #slow #christmas
- Apples & Bananas - SuperSimpleSongs
- Are You Hungry - SuperSimpleSongs
- I Have a Pet - SuperSimpleSongs
Cartoons and Fairy Tales
- Frog and Snake (~3 min)
- Mongoose's Sacrifice (<3 min)
- The Loyal Mongoose (<3 min)
- Disney Trailers (~3 min)
- Peppa Pig - Gardening (~5 min)
- Peppa Pig - Daddy Loses His Glasses (~5 min)
- The Prince and the Pea - Fixed Fairy Tales (~5 min)
- Humpty Dumpty - Fixed Fairy Tales (~3 min)
- Little Red Riding Hood - Fixed Fairy Tales (~4 min)
BBC Ideas - This is another great collection of educational videos with subtitles and animations. This channel has a lesser focus on science and technology than Ted-Ed does.
What If - The What If Show answers the grand speculative scenarios and bizarre possibilities we all may wonder about.
Sprouts - This channel has a lot of short educational videos using drawing animations.
National Geographic - They have lots of short clips as well as longer documentaries.
- Nat Geo Kids - The Amazing Animals series is quite good, and the videos are only about 2 minutes long.
Storyline Online - Children's stories read aloud. Most stories are 5-15 minutes long.