Look at these sentences. What are the differences?
I go to Paris.
I am going to Paris.
I am going to go to Paris.
Not sure? Let's add some time words to help.
I go to Paris often. บ่อยครั้ง
I am going to Paris now. ตอนนี้
I am going to go to Paris next month. สัปดาห์หน้า
- Simple Present.
- It is used for things that repeat.
I am going
- Present Continuous.
- It is used for things that are happening right now.
- You can use it to talk about the future but you must add a future time word.
- I am going tomorrow.
I am going to go
- Future Simple.
- It always talks about the future. You do not need a future time word.
- It often sounds like "I'm gonna go" when we speak.
- I can't talk. I am driving ______.
- I am going to drive to Chicago ______.
- I eat there _____.
- I ___________ now.
- I run _______.
Do you watch TV?
-> Yes, I watch TV.
Are you watching TV?
-> No, I'm not watching TV. I am studying English.
Are you going to watch TV?
-> Yes, I am going to watch TV after class.
BE Rule Reminder
He / She / It is
We / You / They are
The dog is
The dogs are