- use a/an, some ____s, or how many _____s
- an apple, some apples
- a banana, some bananas
Non-Count Items (uncountable)
- some _____ or how much ____
- No 'S' or 'A/AN' form
- ~~a milk~~, some milk
- Common non-count food items are things like
- rice (very small and hard to count)
- large fruits and vegetables (things you slice up)
Much and Many are most often used with questions.
- Use much with non-count nouns.
- Use many with countable nouns.
How much broccoli should I buy? Please buy a lot / a little. How many eggs do you want? Please buy 6 eggs.
Change SOME to ANY in negative sentences and most questions.
There is some milk left.
-> There isn't any milk left.
There are some carrots.
-> There aren't any carrots.
BE CAREFUL - A/AN do not change.
There is an onion.
-> There is not an onion.
Are there any carrots left?
- You think the answer will be NO.
Are there some carrots left?
- You are about 90% sure the answer will be YES.